Learn to Sail TexasWhat sets us apart?
We are located in one of the best sailing areas in the USA. Our basic training philosophy is in line with the ASA standards. We take pride in exceeding the ASA basic requirements. We are serious about safety afloat; winching techniques, handling ship traffic to prepping for heavy weather.
We'd like to share with y'all that our Chief Instructor Captain Chris was just
awarded the American Sailing Association's Outstanding Instructor of the Year award. We thank all our students, without them
it would not have happened!
PLEASE NOTE we are expanding ONE of our Fast Track classes each month to 6 days each month. So many times, just when students have finally absorbed the basic concepts, the class ends. We want one more day to ensure that every student is competent and confident sailor. Our goal is to have every class plan and safely execute a trip once they are in training for the ASA 104 level. Some students don't require this additional day but, all will benefit. For those with some boating experience we will continue to offer the 5 day class
Learn to Sail Texas requires that the ASA 101 Basic Keelboat class is taught on a relatively small, (25 foot, but could sleep 5), tiller boat with hank on sails. This requirement makes a huge, positive difference in the beginners learning curve. The Corpus Christi Bay covers 192 square miles and unlike other bays in Texas, is primarily open water with few spoil areas. When taking a class you will have practical experience with commercial traffic and Aids To Navigation, (ATON's, e.g. Nuns, Cans, Day beacons). We take our training very seriously as many classes in the Spring and early Summer experience 30+ knots winds. You'll learn how to handle them. The advance classes navigate portions of the Intra Coastal Waterway,(ICW), commercial ship channels, and if the class is ready, we may venture into the Gulf of Mexico. Want to know more? Read what our students have to say , Student Testimonials and click here to understand our goals. Our sailing instruction philosophy
Note* Students have requested that we modify our
schedule for the 103 / 104 Combo class. Classes will now begin at 12:00 noon on the first day usually a Thursday
and run through the weekend. This will allow for drive time to Corpus and save you a night in a hotel.
We have also reduced the cost of all the classes during the spring and early summer season.
Our Sailing Courses, Once you have decided on a class please use the "Enroll Here" link on the left to register.
All ASA fees and textbooks are included in the prices.
- ASA 101 - Basic Keelboat Sailing Course - $347.00
- ASA 103 - Basic Coastal Cruising Sailing Course
- ASA 104 - Bareboat Cruising Certification Class
- ASA 103 / ASA 104 Combination Sailing Certification Class, (3 - 1/2 day class). $777.00
- ASA 105 - Coastal Navigation Class
- Fast Track: ASA 101 / ASA 103 / ASA 104 sail certifications, (5 - day live aboard class). $1147.00
- ASA Fast Track: ASA 101 / ASA 103 / ASA 104 sail certifications, (6 - day live aboard class). $1367.00
- ASA RADAR Endorsement Class, call for schedule
- Want more time on the water? Book an ASA 101 that has a 103 / 104 class immediately following the 101. It gives you 6 days on the water, this allows us to concentrate on the basic sailing skill sets during the first two days. Even more time! Take an ASA 101 followed by a 5 day Fast Track. This is a great option for those with no or very little boating experience.
Gift Certificates Available
Our Chief Instructor Captain Chris, (ASA Instructor of the Year), has been sailing keelboats on the Texas coast since the early 90's and teaching the ASA sailing curriculum since 2003. He now has accumulated more than 2500 days in navigable waters.
Captain Chris' US Coast Guard issued Masters License, (100 Ton), with the following warrants;
- Officer US Merchant Marines, Master 100 Ton
- Commercial Assistance Towing endorsement
- Auxiliary Sail endorsement
- Radar Observer Unlimited endorsement
Our Spring temperatures. According to usclimatedata.com the average temperatures are:
|Month||Average High||Average Low|
The vernal equinox has passed, (3/20/2018). The days are getting longer the evening temperatures are cool. The winds
have settled down some. We are about done with the strong Northers that visit us in the Spring. Whether its a two day basic keelboat sail training class or an
adventurous; five, six or seven day combination class, we are sure you'll have a positive experience.
If you desire additional information not covered under one of the primary link categories please use the Contact Form Link on the left to drop us a line.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 331478 Corpus Christi, TX 78463
Classroom Address 505 S. Water Street, Suite 535
Corpus Christi, TX